I’m going to be honest, I’m not a beauty blogger.
I have NO idea how to contour or make my eyebrows look like the girls on IG. However, you will rarely find me leaving the house without eyeliner and mascara, even if its two days old. So imagine my surprise when I found out that those two staples of my beauty routine were filled with ingredients that are linked to cancer and infertility.
Yep…cancer. The big C. The word every person prays they never hear. Did you know that contrary to popular belief it’s estimated that only 5-10% of cancer is hereditary? Meaning most cancers start from environmental factors. How about that 1 in 8 deaths in the world is from cancer? That is more than AIDS, TB, and malaria combined. What about the fact that cancer is the leading cause of death in developed countries? How about this one to really blow your mind, researchers believe more than half of cancer diagnoses and deaths are preventable. Make no sense right?
How is it that in a country where you can Facetime from a coffee shop that serves you wheatgrass shots and organic kale smoothies, is it legal to fill our most used products with ingredients known to cause these cancers.
Once I started researching what was in my products I was mortified.
I mean I preach all the time about removing toxins from you home and then I found out my bathroom was filled with them. The part that really got me was I had, years before moved to organic “natural” products for my skincare and makeup and I only used “safe” products on my daughter. What I didn’t know was that the regulations don’t exist so companies can claim to be safe and natural when in reality they are no better. I dove in head first, reading and researching ingredients. I then wanted to curl up in a ball and scrub my face with coconut oil or something. What really set this mama bear off what that everything I put on my body, the good and the bad, rubs off on those sweet little girls I created. When I hug them, kiss them, or snuggle them up, I am transferring whatever hidden toxin that is on my skin to them.
So what changes did I make for my family?
Change is hard, no matter what it is. Giving up products you love isn’t something that people are racing to do. It’s like a slow crawl, dragging their feet the entire way. However, I will tell you that everyone I know who as made that change is thankful for it once they do. Good things aren’t always the easiest but the rewards always outweigh anything. So here are my some easy tips for you along with trusted brands.
- Avoid ANYTHING with the word “fragrance” in it. That means toss your perfumes to ladies. You can replace perfume with essential oils or other natural options.
- Start using clean products on your skin and body. Like I mentioned products will claim to be natural or safe, so you really need to read the ingredients yourself. If you have questions about a product you can always email me, I am here to help! We use every single product from Beautycounter. It has changed my entire families skin and we are obsessed, yes even my guy’s guy husband.
- Toss those dreaded fabric softeners. You can add essential oils onto wool balls to get a fresh scent and help reduce static.
- Toss that beloved eyeliner! I only use makeup from Beautycounter and it’s the best makeup I have ever used. Since fully switching my skincare and makeup my skin looks the best it has ever looked.
- Be vigilant!!!! This is so important. Take your health and own it. You deserve nothing but the best and your family does too.