Let me give you an idea of my house. It started out as a tiny a frame hunting cabin, thats it. Then in the early 80’s someone bought it and added on, building this big house. It’s kind of a split level, meaning our bedrooms are in the basement and our living areas are our upstairs. However the basement isn’t totally underground and we have a big addition added on thats half basement half house…it’s just really really weird ya’ll.
Anyway I have always had a love/hate with our basement. Slowly over the years we have remodeled rooms and it’s getting a lot better than it was. However down here there is this GIANT stone wall where our wood stove is it. The plan is to rip all of this rock out someday and do a totally new design…but I have a deck and 2 bathrooms to remodel before I even think of that.
It started with a shelf.
No seriously it did. I had been wanting my husband to hang up this old oak board we had saved from when we remodel our kitchen and use it as a shelf. So being the great guy he is he did as I asked. Next thing I knew I was knee deep in primer. I just hated the 80’s rock and felt like it was seriously killing the vibe I had spent so much time and energy creating down here. It simply had to go! So off to Pinterest I went and I read probably 20142 blog about painting stone but none of them were for stone like I had so I had to just wing it and pray for the best. I didn’t document this process very well mostly because it was such a quick spur of the moment thing but I did at least remember to take a before shot of the ugly stone!
This part SUCKED! My hands got all cut up from scrubbing the rough rock but it is 100% crucial to the cause. I used a wire brush to go over it all and get rid of any loose rock and then I scrubbed it down with vinegar. Some tutorials I read said to let the stone dry overnight, which if you have a flat stone I think you would want to, but mine was so porous I read somewhere else to go ahead and prime while it was wet because it would really soak it in..so that’s what I did.
No one enjoys priming but for this project it was pretty much a must do. Like I said it was super porous so if I didn’t prime it would of taken multiple coats to cover the hideous pink rocks but also it would of just soaked it in like crazy. I started with a brush and roller but quickly switched over to my little furniture sprayer. It doesn’t have a ton of overspray which meant I didn’t really have to tape anything off. I only did one coat of primer and then I let it dry for 2 hours.
I don’t know if you have ever painted white in a basement or an area without a lot of natural light but it can be very tricky. Some whites will be blinding,some will look blue…the drama never ends. A few years ago when I discovered how perfect Sherwin Williams alabaster white worked in my basement I have never strayed. In fact its now the wall color in my bedroom, Noelle’s bedroom, and this fireplace. I sprayed the rock with two coats and really made sure to get in the cracks. I was pretty nervous as I did this but my trusty alabaster didn’t let me down. The next day I painted the tiles, but that’s an entirely different post.
Overall it wasn’t so bad
The project took me 1 full day and about 15 episodes of the podcast Up and Vanished but it wasn’t too awful and what it did to the space was 100% worth the day invested. Like I said eventually we will be reading this area but now it doesn’t make me cringe when I come down here, so I’ll take it! Makes sure you check out our post on how we painted that ugly floor too!